Tahun 1960-an adalah tahun revolusi iklan di Amerika Serikat. Arsiteknya adalah William Bernbach dengan posisi atau proposisi penjualan yang unik untuk menghubungkan tiap brand dengan satu gagasan khusus (a specific idea) di pikiran audience atau pembaca.
“Good advertising builds sales. Great advertising builds Factories!” Ini hanya salah satu kutipan dari kata-kata Bill Bernbach yang masih dikenang oleh para kreatif iklan di seluruh dunia sampai hari ini. William (Bill) Bernbach lahir 13 Agustus tahun 1911 di New York city, Amerika Serikat(AS). Ia meninggal 2 Oktober tahun 1982 di New York City(AS). Bill Bernbach adalah direktur kreatif iklan dan salah satu dari pendiri Doyle Dane Bernbach di AS. Namanya masih tercatat dan dikenang karena pengabdiannya pada kreasi iklan dan tema-tema iklan yang sangat hebat.
Kreasi dan tema iklan modern adalah salah satu warisan Bernbach yang menjadikannya sebagai kekuatan perubahan atau tepatnya revolusi iklan di Amerika Serikat. Bernbach adalah pengantar iklan amerika serikat memasuki masa iklan modern dan arsitek revolusi kreasi iklan tahun 1960 dan tahun 1970-an di AS.
Karya Bill Bernbach selalu memiliki ciri khas kesederhanaan, ia juga diakui sebagai orang pertama yang memadu copywriters dan art directors dalam ‘two person team’. Sebelumnya, dua keahlian ini selalu berada dalam departemen yang terpisah. Model ‘two person team’ ini masih diterapkan oleh industry-industri iklan sampai hari ini.
Beberapa kampanye iklan bernbach yang masih dikenang sampau hari ini di zona pasar Amerika Serikat antara lain We Try Harder untuk Avis Car Rental, You Don’t Have To Be Jewish to Love Levy’s untuk Rye Bread dari Levy’s dan It’s so simple untuk Polaroid.
“I warn you against believing that advertising is a science.” Ini salah satu kutipan kalimat Bill Bernbach yang popular. Usai Bill Bernbach meninggal bulan Oktober 1982, majalah Harper Amerika Serikat menulis tentang Bill Bernbach untuk para pembacanya:”…probably had a greater impact on American culture than any of the distinguished writers and artists who have appread in the pages of harper’s during the past 133 years.” Kurang lebih 16 tahun berikutnya, pengaruh Bernbach masih terasa di pasar AS. Kemudian majalah Advertising Age mengakui Bill Bernbach sebagai manusia iklan nomor 1 di dunia.
10 Principles Of Advertising - Bill Bernbach
1. Go to the essence of the product. State the product's essence in the simplest terms of its basic advantage. And state this both tangibly and memorably.
2. Where possible, make your product an actor in the scene; not just a prop. This makes for a tremendously effective method of getting your product remembered. Because the provocative element in your advertising is also the element that sells your product. This is so simply stated, so difficult to execute.
3. Art and copy must be fully integrated. They must be conceived as a unit, developed as a unit.
4. Advertising must have vitality. This exuberance is sometimes called "personality". When advertising has a personality, it is persuasively different; and it is the one because of the other. You must fight to get "bounce" in your advertising.
5. It is little less than useless to employ a so-called gimmick in advertising ---- unless the gimmick itself tells the product story.
6. Tell the truth. First, it's a great gimmick. Second, you go to heaven. Third, it moves merchandise because people will trust you.
7. Be relevant. A wonderfully creative execution will get the big "So what" if it isn't meaningful to their life, family, business etc. And always opt for an ad that's relevant over one that's exciting and irrelevant.
8. Be simple. Not simpleminded, but single minded. Who has the time or the desire to listen to advertising?
9. Safe ideas can kill you. If it's been done before, your competition will be ready for it. Your only chance of beating the competition is with advertising they've never seen before. Which means you've never seen it before either! Be brave.
10. Stand out. If your advertising goes unnoticed, everything has been wasted.
Ini beberapa Quote's atau kata-kata yang bermakna, dalam dunia advertising yang pernah dikemukakan oleh Bill bernbach :
-A great ad campaign will make a bad product fail faster. It will get more people to know it's bad.-
-Advertising doesn't create a product advantage. It can only convey it.-
-Advertising is fundamentally persuasion and persuasion happens to be not a science, but an art.-
-An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.-
-Because an appeal makes logical sense is no guarantee that it will work.-
-Forget words like 'hard sell' and 'soft sell.' That will only confuse you. Just be sure your advertising is saying something with substance, something that will inform and serve the consumer, and be sure you're saying it like it's never been said before.-
-lieving that advertising is a science.-
-If your advertising goes unnoticed, everything else is academic.-
-In advertising not to be different is virtually suicidal.-
-In communications, familiarity breeds apathy.-
-In this very real world, good doesn't drive out evil. Evil doesn't drive out good. But the energetic displaces the passive.-
-It is insight into human nature that is the key to the communicator's skill. For whereas the writer is concerned with what he puts into his writings, the communicator is concerned with what the reader gets out of it. He therefore becomes a student of how people read or listen.-
-Just because your ad looks good is no insurance that it will get looked at. How many people do you know who are impeccably groomed... but dull?-
-No matter how skillful you are, you can't invent a product advantage that doesn't exist. And if you do, and it's just a gimmick, it's going to fall apart anyway.-
-Nobody counts the number of ads you run; they just remember the impression you make.-
-Our job is to bring the dead facts to life.-
-Our job is to sell our clients' merchandise... not ourselves. Our job is to kill the cleverness that makes us shine instead of the product. Our job is to simplify, to tear away the unrelated, to pluck out the weeds that are smothering the product message.-
-Properly practiced creativity can make one ad do the work of ten.-
-Properly practiced creativity must result in greater sales more economically achieved. Properly practiced creativity can lift your claims out of the swamp of sameness and make them accepted, believed, persuasive, urgent.-
-The most powerful element in advertising is the truth.-
-There is no such thing as a good or bad ad in isolation. What is good at one moment is bad at another. Research can trap you into the past.-
-Today's smartest advertising style is tomorrow's corn.-
-We don't ask research to do what it was never meant to do, and that is to get an idea.-
-Word of mouth is the best medium of all.-
-You can say the right thing about a product and nobody will listen. You've got to say it in such a way that people will feel it in their gut. Because if they don't feel it, nothing will happen.-